The traditions and superstitions in connection with the New Year in Hungary are quite old and well-celebrated all over the country. Because of this exactly, we have tried to summarise some of the beliefs and activities that are common here. Most of them are in connection with luck, health, wealth and happiness in general, that is of course quite understandable, as we all strive for these things in our life.
So let us have a look at some of the most known traditions, many of them are still in practice, especially in the countryside.
• By opening the doors and windows we can let out our problems from our home.
• In order to be lucky throughout the new year, don’t do laundry and don’t sew on New Year’s Day.
• Do not visit a doctor on the first day of the new year in order to stay healthy all year.
• If your first visitor is a man on New Year’s Day, you will be lucky, if it’s a woman you will be unlucky in the upcoming year.
• Eat lentil soup and pork on the first day of the year, in order to accumulate wealth in the coming year.
• Toast with champagne on NYE, that will also attract money in the future.
• Do not take out the trash on the first day of January, since it means throwing out luck.
• Do not hang out freshly washed clothes to dry because that means death will approach the house.
• Do not eat chicken or fish, since birds scratch away the possibility of success, fishes swim away with good fortune.
The New Year’s Eve mood will be set by Bálint Gájer (also known as the Hungarian Michael Bublé) and the Catsby Band. Their exclusive New Year’s performance is sure to get everyone in the party mood. Buy Your discount tickets:
It is worth keeping these things in mind, as they can not really hurt us plus it is always fun to participate in local customs.
Most of these are pleasant anyways, and don’t cost us a thing.
Who knows, we might get lucky in 2019?